Planning for Incapacity

Planning for incapacity is imperative, and it needs to happen before illness or an accident occurs. The sad reality is that tragedy can strike at any moment and the hardship will be magnified if you are not prepared.

Power of Attorney/ Health Care Directives

Setting up power of attorney will empower another individual to carry out your financial affairs, in the event you become disabled or incapacitated. By setting up power of attorney, your assets will remain managed, your tax returns filed, and other financial matters taken care of. Setting up power of attorney will also ensure that things such as Medicare, Social Security, trusts, transferring assets, naming beneficiaries and life insurance policies are continually handled knowledgeably and according to your wishes as well.

You can also set up health care directives: forms that authorize your family to make medical decisions if you cannot. These decisions can range from life support to organ donation to burial/cremation.

Why Conservatorship is Not Ideal

If you don't choose to plan for incapacity, your loved ones will be forced to seek conservatorship. This is a less ideal option, as you will have to be declared by a judge as "legally incompetent" and financial reports will have to be filed annually. This process is also time-consuming, expensive and emotionally draining for your family, as your spouse or adult child will have to petition the court to be appointed conservator.

Take charge of your future by contacting The Law Office of James D. Krupka!

While it is difficult to think about incapacity, let alone plan for it, it is important that you do it for your family. Your loved ones will have to endure enough stress if you become incapacitated—don't force them to wonder and guess about how you would like to be cared for. When you meet with me, we can clearly and sensitively discuss all aspects related to planning for incapacity.

For expert legal counsel and guidance, contact The Law Office of James D. Krupka. I have proudly handled hundreds of cases over the past several years and am prepared to take on yours. Let me put my legal experience to work for you!

Contact Us

Law Offices of James D. Krupka
Santa Rosa Estate Planning Attorney
Located at: 509 Orchard Street,
Suite A,

Santa Rosa, CA 95404
View Map
Phone: (707) 509-8692
© 2017 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.